Cosmetic Vs. Aesthetic Dentistry
Many people think “cosmetic dentistry” and “aesthetic dentistry” are the same, when, in fact, the phrases are unique & have different treatment procedures.
To be sure, there are some resemblances. Both cosmetic and aesthetic dentistry deal with the look of your teeth and smile. But ultimately, the purposes of each type of dentistry are different.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
You might think of cosmetic dentistry as a dental procedure that focuses more on appearances. In other words, the inner structure of your mouth is not the only priority. Therefore, things like the condition of your gums, how your jaw is situated, your teeth alignment, each tooth’s relationship to those surrounding it, etc. are not routinely handled in this area of practice.
What is included in cosmetic dentistry are processes that involve the visual elements of your teeth and gums. For instance, cosmetic dentistry may concentrate on crowns and veneers, and it can also correct problems such as discolored or uneven teeth.
Treatments most commonly used by cosmetic dentists are:
- Teeth Whitening: It is a procedure where a patient can get whiter teeth & can have several shades of lighter teeth. This is one of the most affordable treatments which get concluded in just a single visit to our dental office in Bellevue.
- Dental Veneers: It is a thin layer of porcelain attached to the tooth surface to change its overall look. Dental veneers are popular among celebrities who want to have the most “perfect” smile. Due to this veneers are the best way to achieve the iconic “Hollywood” smile.
- Braces or Invisalign: Orthodontic treatment of traditional metal braces or Invisalign can offer you a straighter smile. Correcting misalignment or crookedness in the smile is an essential part of supporting patients to gain a more visually attractive smile that they can proudly show off with confidence.
- Gum Contouring: Gum contouring is a process where the natural gum line is changed. This is usually done to restore the look of a ‘gummy’ smile, helping patients feel more self-confident about showing off their smile.
What Is Aesthetic Dentistry?
Aesthetic dentistry concentrates more on what lies underneath the surface, and resolving these issues can, in turn, affect the patient’s appearance. For instance, the need for a crown or veneer might be driven by an underlying oral issue, and in this case, an aesthetic dentistry procedure is heading to be more attentive to correcting this core issue — instead of just delivering a solution to the surface-level issue. Both artistic and dentistry principles are used in aesthetic dentistry.
Still, this appearance matters. Aesthetic dentistry treats the underlying issues, but, inevitably, this will result in a more promising, natural-looking smile. Overall, the primary goal is to enhance the patient’s oral health.
Some of the Aesthetic Dentistry Procedures Are:
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are put directly into the jaw bone to replace a lost tooth. A dental crown is positioned over the implant to resemble the crown of a natural tooth, while the implant itself imitates the natural tooth roots. This entitles retaining bone structure while completing the smile line and enhancing the overall function and look of the patient’s teeth.
- Dental Crowns & Bridges: Dental crowns are protecting caps that are put over the top of the tooth. Crowns can be used to enhance the function of the tooth, save it from damage or decay, and revamp the look of the tooth. Dental bridges are multiple unit crowns used to close the space generated by a missing tooth; two anchor crowns are put in the mouth on the sides of the space, and the space is filled with a ‘decoy tooth’ attached to the anchor crowns.
Dental Care Service In Bellevue
Cosmetic & aesthetic dentistry is different in their way & both are necessary to make your smile look beautiful & at the same time sturdy. If you believe you can benefit from either cosmetic or aesthetic dentistry you should visit our dental office in Bellevue to meet our dental professionals. You can ask our dentist about the procedure of each dentistry, how it can benefit you, & which one will best suit your needs. Contact us now to book your consultation with us.